Saturday, February 21, 2009

Hope At A Funeral

My daughter and I had to go to a funeral today. It was for a very humble, loving, caring woman who loved God with every fiber of being and had cancer in almost every cell of her body.
So many questions go through your mind. Why did a Godly woman like this have to suffer so much? Why didn't He heal her?
She leaves behind a husband, two adult children, two grandchildren, and a church filled, today, with people whose lives her life has touched. There were songs of praise and tears of joy for her suffering is ended. There were also touching memories shared and tears of grief for our loss.
If you knew her, you knew that she wanted a message of salvation preached at her funeral. Matter of fact, she had already asked people to sing and what song, people to read scripture and what verses, amazing. I am pretty sure, facing my life's end, could I be that way? To the very last act done on her behalf, it was STILL about getting the message of Salvation out to those who needed to hear it.
Her brother spoke and cried. He touched me greatly and gave such a wonderful picture of salvation, so easy to understand:

Have you ever played Monopoly? You know that when you hit the 3rd corner, you are going to jail. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.00! It is a rule and you accept it. Then why don't you accept the rules in here?( he holds up her Bible.)
Have you ever played poker? You are sitting there with 4 queens in your hand and just smile knowing you are probably going to win. You bid and wait. The person across from you lays down 4 kings! It is a rule that kings beat queens and you accept it. Then why don't you accept the rules in here? (he holds up her Bible)
When playing Monopoly, no matter how many hotels you have, how many properties you own, or how much money you have; it ALL ends up in the box. You put the game away.
No matter how much you work, how much money you make, how many "toys" you have, you will end up in a box. (he points to her in the casket) How can I say this? She isn't here! She is home being comforted by the One who saved her!
There is this gift...a free gift just waiting for you to open it. You are in jail and right outside your cell, in arms reach is a piece of paper that is your pardon. All you have to do is grab it! You rush to rip open your Christmas presents and Birthday presents, why not rush to rip open your Eternal present?

All you have to do is:
A -Ask forgiveness...we all fall short of the glory of God, we have all sinned. My friend who is now in God's arms sinned...she is still in God's presence. Why? By His stripes we are healed. His blood washes you clean as snow, He remembers your sins no more.
B - Believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, the One who died for you. The wages of sin is death BUT the gift of God is eternal life, THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord. He paid the price for you with His life, so you could have eternal life with Him.
C - Confess it. Tell someone, tell a pastor, a friend who is saved, family who are saved, me (w8tn4him@fronternet.net). Share your questions, worries, doubts,joy about this gift.

As grieved as my heart was today for the loss of such a wonderful woman, there was such HOPE there...at a funeral.

Last question....what about my funeral? Will my funeral give the hope of eternal life to anyone? What about yours?

excerpt from "Homesick" by Mercy Me

Your in a "better place" I've heard a thousand times. And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you. But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry is how long must I wait to be with you?
And I close my eyes and I see your face. If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place.
Lord won't you give me strength to make it through somehow?
I've never been more homesick than now.


Nancy I will see you again and try not to be too "homesick" until then.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful.

jbechtold said...

Thank you for sharing it is beautiful. You are a good writer and loving person.

Anonymous said...

You are very insightful. I love this post because in your sharing your thoughts and heartache, you have shared the most important thing...the plan of Salvation. thank you